Wayland Games

Thursday, November 5, 2020

Looking Back - Space Hulk

 My earliest memory of Warhammer 40k is the classic Space Hulk. This was my introduction to the Warhammer 40k Universe, the Terminators and the Genestealers. The whole concept was fantastic to me, exploring futuristic dungeons in ancient derelict Space Hulks, getting attacked by swarms of Aliens.




It was also my introduction to the Blood Angels chapter, the one I've stayed with ever since. It's times like this I still wish I had this boxset, would love to play it again but alas, Ebay is too expensive for my tastes. It was released back in 1989 as a two player game, where I was around 13 years old and always the Genestealers (for some reasons, my twin always got me to play the bad guys lol). Writing this brings back memories of not just the miniatures but the little tiles, counters and board pieces that came with it.



Expansions to the original game soon followed and if memory serves me right, it was the Deathwing expansion we bought in 1990. I have vague memories of using Psychic abilities so odds are we also got the Genestealer expansion released in the same year as this was the introduction of psykers to the game.

There was a second edition in 1996, a third edition in 2009 and lastly a 4th edition in 2014, none of which I bought and I really regret it now. I do have a lot of nostalgia for the game, however, I do remember it being vastly unbalanced. The Genestealers were always the dominate force. It was little too easy at times. 

There has been PC versions of the game since, I have a copy of Deathwing on Steam which I've only played solo so part of me thinks it's definitely a game I need to try playing with others as it just doesn't capture the spirit of what I remember it to be.

All things considered though, if they were to bring out a 5th Edition, I would jump at the change of getting a copy.


No comments:

Post a Comment