Wayland Games

Friday, November 6, 2020

Looking Back - HeroQuest

 Writing previously about SpaceHulk, got me thinking about HeroQuest. 

When I was growing up there was a little store in my town that sold video games for the good old ZX Spectrum, Amstrad etc. and in the corner of this store was a column of metal fantasy figures hanging in rows. This was my first introduction to Citadel Miniatures and the Fantasy Genre. 

I can't remember which came first, SpaceHulk or HeroQuest in what we started with gaming wise but it was definitely influenced by these little metal miniatures.


This was an exciting board game for the teenage me. Totally different from anything I had played before, full of a bits and pieces, doors and miniatures. It came with 4 heroes: a Barbarian, a Dwarf, an Elf and Wizard which I was excited to paint (would hate to see how badly I had painted them now).

On top of that the monsters were also miniatures, brining substance to creatures I had only read about previously. These monsters were  Orcs, Goblins, Fimir, Chaos Warriors, a Chaos Warlock, a Gargoyle, Skeletons,  Zombies and Mummies.

Doors, chests, bookcases, I all remember being part of the kit; what I don't remember is much of the game play itself (I'm getting old, what can I say). I also remember there being a number of expansions to the original, though I don't remember having played any of them.

Not long after, in the same year, came Advanced HeroQuest.


Of course, having the original, we had to get this. It was a more dynamic version of the original with the main game board now gone and replaced with interlocking tiles. That aside though, game play pretty much stayed the same from what I remember.

Fast forward to 2020 and there is a new version coming via a Kickstarter(?) project from Hasbro themselves over at Hasbro Pulse and available in the UK via Zavvi priced at £150. I love to get this but sadly I can't justify it :(


It looks like a fantastic update to the original, the miniatures look far more detailed, the old part cardboard doorways are now full plastic along with the furniture.



No comments:

Post a Comment